Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Book Club Tea Party

Sometimes I don't feel like I have very many interesting things to blog about like all of you younger generation with your cute kids.  But this week I did do something different from my dull, ordinary day.  I attend a book club each month and once a year we have a Tea Party Luncheon to go with it.  I hosted it at my house this year.  My sister Debbie and sister-in-law Muriel gave me these beautiful teapots, pitchers, and sugar bowls, along with all the cups and saucers.
The little spoons I let the ladies use to stir their tea was from Paul's grandmother's collection of teaspoons.  It has such a fun variety of shapes and colors.
This was the table setting.  I used my mother's real silverware which my father gave to me.  The beautiful crystal glasses and real china were given to me by Claire and her daughter who use to entertain a lot in Florida.
Beautiful finger sandwiches created by Regina.  They were a big hit with everyone.  We had tons of delicious food:  scones, tea cakes, soup, chocolate fondue, lemon curd, cookies, and on and on.  I was so busy serving it all that I forgot to take a picture of it.  The table was loaded from end to end, with no room to spare.
Our southern Belle, Claire.
Our literary expert, Lela.
We have fun dressing up for the occasion if we so feel inclined.  I thought Joan's outfit was especially well coordinated.
I wish you could see my necklace, ear rings and bracelet better.  They were my Grandmother Fuqua's that my mother gave to me.  She said she remembered her mom wearing them when she was a little girl, so that would have been around 1930.
Three lovely ladies all in a row.
We will miss Mearl, she will soon be moving back to Hawaii.
Monica decided to take off on the Oriental side of a tea.  She had the traditional dress with the big bow in the back.  And so that was my adventure of the week.

6 comments:

Nicole, Ryan & Jett Wilder said...

Wow you did a good job with the table. I like your outfit. Wish I could see the jewelry better you were talking about. Looks like you all enjoyed your tea party!

Jessica Marie said...

Looks like you ladies had a great time! What a great idea! :)

Melissa said...

Sounds so fun! I love how you incorporated Grandma from Kansas' spoons.

Ann said...

How fun! Wish I could have come. I love that you all dressed the part too!

jenny said...

Gosh Susan-you are sooo fun!!! Seeing Carol, Lela and oh I can't remember her name-short dark hair-thin woman?? I am home sick for you all!! Please give them each my love!! Jenny

Bree said...

That looks like so much fun! You all look great--I love a good excuse to dress up! :) Oh, and those chocolate covered strawberries look DELICIOUS!! What a sweet surprise!